Michael Anastassiades Studio is looking for a Head of Design to join their team in London.
Michael Anastassiades Studio is an award-winning, internationally recognized design studio that collaborates with various brands (Flos, Molteni, Herman Miller, Cassina, Mutina, B&B Italia, etc.) and institutions worldwide (V&A Museum, MAK Vienna, ICA Milano, MOMA New York, etc.). With a focus on external collaborations in various expressions of typologies and mediums, the studio is also tied to the Michael Anastassiades brand, which is well-known for manufacturing contemporary decorative lighting and objects of the highest quality.
Both the Studio and Brand have enjoyed tremendous success in the last few years and are in a period of growth. We are seeking a Head of Design to contribute to that growth through a sensitive and capable individual who is deeply in line with our design ethos.
Location: Five days per week at 50 Rochester, London. It might be requested to work from the Studio premises at 115 Old Street, London from time to time.
Working hours: 9 am – 6 pm Reporting to: The Founder
Any potential candidate will need to be able to demonstrate the highest degree of technical skill, design sensibility (through examples of past work), and an ability to seamlessly manage both projects and people. Their education and/or experience in design will have prepared the candidate to autonomously generate design concepts and solutions, innovating in both form and function at a world-class level to provide works that span from lighting to furniture, accessories, and interiors. A self-starter attitude is a must-have as you will be tasked with independently creating work from scratch that is in line with Michael Anastasiades' design DNA, as well as our many numerous collaborators. Aside from possessing a comprehensive set of skills, the successful candidate should also demonstrate their ability to work sensitively in a studio environment where an understanding of how to design with and for others is essential. As an intimate studio, you will work directly with Michael Anastassiades and a small team to deliver all the design output for the eponymous brand and its many collaborators. A can-do, hands-on attitude, both toward the work itself and any peripheral tasks necessary for delivering that work, is a must.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Proven ability to conversely develop multiple designs, from concept through to manufacturing, for world-class brands
• Strong technical skills, including comprehensive CAD proficiency (in Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite), and a high level of expertise in physical model making
• A deep understanding of design aesthetics and history, as well as a keen awareness of the design world at large, including the current landscape of brands and practitioners
• Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant work experience within a design brand or studio. With a period of experience at an elevated level, such as a Head of Design or equivalent
• A high-energy, can-do attitude that allows for both collaborative and independent work, understanding the complex nature of bringing ideas to the real world
• An excellent personal attitude and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
To express your interest in this role please submit your CV, cover letter, and portfolio in PDF format (no larger than 8MB) with the subject title ‘Head of Design' via the application website or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org